This is my story about how I got into photography. My passion started about 3 years ago when I became an avid hiker. Having moved to a new area where I hardly knew anyone, I needed a new hobby to keep me busy, maybe even meeting new people on my adventures. Photography gave me a way to capture the amazing moments from my hikes and encouraged me to visit more places I hadn’t been to before.
Fast forward three years and I’ve captured lots of amazing images from stunning places such as Snowdonia, The Lake District, and Peak District, just to mention a few. I take my camera on almost every walk, hoping to capture the perfect shot. My favourite time to take photos is at ‘Blue Hour’ because you get a nice blue, cool tone throughout the landscape and for cityscapes it creates a great balanced exposure.
When I’m not taking photos, I enjoy watching interesting and useful photography tutorials to help me improve my skills. I feel this is important as I always strive to improve my photography skills and capture even better photos. As this is a hobby for me, I thoroughly enjoy learning new techniques and picking up new tips from other experienced photographers.
So why do I love photography?
- Photography allows me to express my creative side. This is very different to my job as an Electrical Engineer. With photography, I am able to take my camera to new places and capture unique shots which gives me a ‘buzz’. Also, I’m able to experiment with new techniques.
- Secondly, it’s good for my mental health and wellbeing. As we all know, exercise is important for all of us and this is my way of getting out of the house. Photography gives me something else to focus on and is my way of relaxing after a long week. It may not be for everyone, but this works for me.
- I become more appreciative of the moment. By this I mean I’m able to look back on the photos I’ve taken and appreciate the places I’ve been to and the views I’ve been lucky eneough to experience. Photography really allows you to immerse yourself in the moment and mood at the time.
- Photography allows me to tell stories through photos. I am able to show people the places I have been to. A well taken photo can describe the exact moment without having to with words.
- Lastly, photography allows me to document my life and some of the best moments in it. If people appreciate my photos and hard work, of course that is a bonus, but I primarily do this for myself.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this blog. If you’d like to be notified when future posts are added to my website, please enter your email address below and sign up.